Earlier this year, I wrote Why Women Love Gilbert Blythe and Why Guys Should Pay Attention. It’s probably the most widely read thing I’ve ever written in my life. It struck a chord with many Green Gables fans and I was so happy to share some great Anne and Gil moments with everyone in memory of Jonathan Crombie.
Of course, with all the hype about Anne and Gil, I craved the books. So next year, I’m going to read through all 8 books. If you love the books as much as I do and it’s time for some re-reading, I invite you to join! And if you’ve always been a fan of the films but have never read the books, then you, my dear, are so missing out and should really consider reading them next year!
(this post contains affiliate links)
The Anne series includes the follow titles:
I soooo cannot wait to begin, these are some of my favorite books from my teen years and re-reading them is always such a treat!
- I’m going to keep it really simple. All you have to do is complete books 1-8 between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016. I’m not setting a schedule, just read at your own pace. Easy, peasy, lemon squeasy!
- Any format is acceptable (hard copy, e-book, audiobook)
- Crossovers to other challenges are allowed encouraged, and totally expected 😉
- Since there are 12 months and only 8 books, I decided to add two more titles to my list. If you want to do a book a month, that would leave room for 4 additional titles. Here are some more Avonlea reads you may want to consider: (some of these were suggested in the comments below)
Again, these additional reads are they are totally optional. So far, I’ve chosen these two:
The Blythes are Quoted – Montgomery wrote this book as the final chapter in Anne series but was never published in it’s entirety until much later. I had no idea it existed until today and am looking forward to getting my own copy!
The Road to Yesterday – This is an extremely abridged version of the The Blythes are Quoted. So abridged that a reviewer on Goodreads said they are two completely different books. I’ve had it on my list to read for awhile so I’m going to add it to this challenge.
Blog Schedule (Updated):
- January – Anne of Green Gables
- February – Anne of Avonlea
- March – Anne of the Island
- April – Anne of Windy Poplars
- May – Anne’s House of Dreams
- June – Anne of Ingleside
- July – Rainbow Valley
- August – Rilla of Ingleside
- September – Catch Up
- October – The Blythes are Quoted
- November – The Road to Yesterday
- December – Catch Up/Round Up/Giveaway
So, Green Gables fans, it’s time to take a trip to back to good ol’ Prince Edward Island for a yearlong visit with our favorite Anne (spelled with an ‘E’).
You don’t need a blog to join but if you are a blogger, sign up below with your link. Either way, leave me a comment and let me know that you’re joining the fun!
And if you’d like, here are a couple of smaller versions you can copy and paste to your blog 🙂
If you’re sharing the challenge on social media, use the hashtag #ayearinavonlea.
One or more titles in the series will also go towards these other reading challenges:
- 2016 Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge
- Full House Reading Challenge 2016
- 2016 Hardcore Re-Reading Challenge
- The 12 Month Classics Challenge
- POPSUGAR 2016 Reading Challenge
- Women’s Classic Literature Event
The blogger at Purple Ink Studios is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com