Good afternoon! Happy New Year dear Readers! It is January 1, 2016 and that means, among other things, that the Anne of Green Gables Reading Challenge begins!
Okay, so first, a bit of housekeeping.
I said before that there is no set schedule for this challenge and there isn’t—you can read as fast or as slow as you’d like. However, you should know what to expect from me as host so I do have a schedule for myself. I’m going to be reading a book a month and will do an intro post on the first of the month and my review and discussion question answers on the last of the month.
So, my calendar will look like this:
- January – Anne of Green Gables
- February – Anne of Avonlea
- March – Anne of the Island
- April – Anne of Windy Poplars
- May – Anne’s House of Dreams
- June – Anne of Ingleside
- July – Rainbow Valley
- August – Rilla of Ingleside
- September – Catch Up
- October – The Blythes are Quoted
- November – The Road to Yesterday
- December – Catch Up/Round Up/Giveaway
September thru December, you can read as many extra titles as you’d like. Since this isn’t my only reading challenge for the year, I’ll just be reading two extras with September and December as catch up months. Aaaaand since December is the Christmas season and time of giving, I’ll be doing a giveaway ^.^
Again, read at your own pace but this is what you can expect of me ^.^
Also, at the end of every month, I’ll have a link up where you can post your reviews if you’re blogging your way through the challenge.
Alrighty, on to the discussion Q’s for the month. I initially said that I would post a discussion question but I couldn’t choose between these three so here they all are:
- This first installment of Anne Shirley’s story is about her finding a home after years of displacement. While we often consider ‘home’ to be synonymous with ‘house’, it’s also a state of being. What does home mean for you and what makes it special?
- Friendship is such a huge theme in this book. There are many elements that make up a great bosom friendship like Anne and Diana’s but if you had to pick three of those elements, what would they be?
- Of course, we love Gilbert Blythe but the real sweetheart in the first book is Matthew Cuthbert. What makes Matthew such a great father figure in Anne’s life? And (if you’ve read the books before) what effect do you think his love and influence has in the rest of Anne’s life?
I’ll have my answers to these questions up at the end of the month!
Before I leave you to your reading, I have a gift for you. I’m a lister and best able to keep track of things when they are on paper in front of me, soooooooooo for those of you who are like me and like writing things down with old fashioned pen and paper, I’ve got a simple, free printable sheet to keep you on track during this reading challenge.
And don’t forget, if you’re sharing your reading on social media, be sure and use the hashtag #ayearinavonlea 🙂
Well, that should do it for now! I wish you all well as you start this challenge and any other challenge you may be participating in this year! Have a great new year’s day and a fabulous weekend!